Council Tax Rebate Scam
Kent County Council Trading Standards is warning the public of fraudsters who are telephoning to tell them they are in the wrong council tax bracket and are owed a rebate of around £6,000.
Scammers will ask for an up-front fee of around £65 in order to process the payment, but no rebate will be issued.
You can check your council tax band for free by contacting the Valuation Office Agency
Stop the scammers!
- Never give personal/bank or card details to an unknown caller.
- Take details of the company and find their number from the internet or phone book.
- If you have any doubts about the caller, hang up.
- Contact your local District Council for information about your Council Tax.
- Put the letter in the recycling bin.
For advice and to report issues to KCC Trading Standards contact
Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
Seen a rogue trader working in your area?